Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Button, Button

I took a trip to Sweetwater Texas this past weekend. Basically, I followed I-40 to Oklahoma City, I-44 to Wichita Falls, Texas, US 277 to Abilene then I-20 to Sweetwater. On my way down, I stopped overnight in Lawton, Oklahoma and took the opportunity to see some of the sights and add to my collection of road photos. Among the sights, were numerous button-copy signs. That is: older signs with reflective buttons rather than reflective lettering. While such signs are becoming increasingly rare, I found one that's even more rare: a button-copy "Big Brown Sign"

This sign, for the Fort Sill Museum, is the only remaining Big Brown Sign I could find in the area that still had button-copy. There are lots of other button-copy signs in the area, such as this one for OK 49, but only the one Brown Sign.

If you like button-copy, you can find a lot of them along the HE Bailey Turnpike south of Lawton. OR, you can cruise by my Flickr photo album to see some of the photos I took (too numerous to mention here).



No comments: