Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Bridges of Calico Rock

A couple weeks ago, I visited Calico Rock, AR on my way home from an SCA event. It was an hour out of my way, but I figured it was a good place to look for bridges and other goodies worthy of photographing. Well, I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I was very pleased having found 4 bridges within a mile of each other. The first one was the Calico Creek bridge on AR 56 built in 1941.
OK, I'm off to a good start, I thought. Then I found this old 1908 Pony Truss along Walnut St, also over Calico Creek.
But wait: there's more! I also found this old wooden bridge on the Missouri-North Arkansas Railroad over Peppersauce Alley & Railroad St near the White River.
That's 3 bridges in the space of less than a mile. I was about to head out when I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. It looked like an abandoned rairoad spur. Upon closer examination I discovered it was an abandoned railroad bridge.















I couldn't find much info on the bridge, but what I found seems to indicate it was built circa 1902 and was a spur to a local planing plant (also now abandoned).


I spent at least another 30 minutes exploring the area, but couldn't find any more bridges save the White River Bridge along AR 5, so I headed pointed myself north and headed towards home. Then, when I reached the town of Norfork, I found yet another bridge: a multi-truss railroad bridge over the North Fork of the White River. Built circa 1909, this bridge currently serves the Missouri-North Arkansas Railroad.
















Definitely a good day to go bridge hunting. Only problem was: it took me 7 hours to complete what's normally a 4 Hour drive. ;)

No comments: