Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Got Maps?

I was sorting some stuff in my storage unit the other day and found a couple boxes I had forgotten about. I looked at them and noticed they were marked "maps", so I grabbed them and brought them home. Oh my gracious, do I have maps! Not just a few, but 2 motor oil size boxes full of maps. Some of these are my private collection (Missouri and Arkansas maps dating as far back as 1926), while others I've picked up here and there over the years, including a few off e-bay (sometimes I will bid on an odd lot of maps just to get one or two I want. Then the others become "traders"). Well, I've lost count of exactly how many maps I have, so it's time for me to hit e-bay and sell a few of these off (or a LOT in this case). Before I do, though, I'll probably offer them to my fellow RMCA members first since I don't have to worry about e-bay commissions or PayPal fees. Some of my maps, though, I have 5 or 6 copies of the same one... mostly Arkansas and Missouri. Every time I stop at a Tourist Info Center, I grab a map, even if I think I already have one (you never know when you might lose your other map or spill something on it, which happens a lot with me). It's going to be tough to sell 6 of the same map on e-bay... especially when they only date back to circa 1999 or 2000.

Most libraries don't want them (but I'd love to have anything they no longer want ;) ) and I'd hate to relegate them to the recycling bin, so I came up with a new idea: Freecycle. Instead of throwing them away or sticking them back in the box, I've offered a few maps on my local Freecycle list. I picked out a few of the less than pristine ones and offered them on Freecycle. So now I don't feel guilty about throwing them out and I've perhaps created an interest in maps with someone new. You could call it "aiding and abetting" by creating yet another collector with boxes and boxes of maps, but I prefer to think of it as "RMCA: The Next Generation" ;)


No comments: