Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Abandoned Classic

I get to Memphis maybe 2 or 3 times a year anymore. Usually, I'm just passing through or headed for a specific place in town. Last March, I took an opportunity to drive through on US 61 just to see what there was to see. 

When you get north of I-55, the area starts to look really run down and neglected. You'll occasionally pass a convenience store or grocery, maybe even a McDonald's or Walgreens.  One thing that caught my attention was this abandoned gas stationAbandoned in Memphis

Looks like it was a car wash in it's most recent incarnation, but what was it before that? OK, it was a gas station... that much is obvious. But what kind? They don't build them like this anymore...most are just a plain box with flashy lighting sitting on a street corner. So what kind of station was this? A few people on the Oil History list believe it may have been a Billups ("Fill-up with Billups"), but I wasn't able to find specific identifying marks (but then, I was nervous about stopping here for more than 5 minutes).

Anyone remember? Anyone know for sure? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thos used to be Phillips Gas stations in the 50's most had the front redone - rarely do you see one that looks like this anymore.