Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me



No, not me. My namesake: Us 71. Today is the 83rd anniversary of the creation of the US Highway System. Designed as a replacement for the Auto Trails, it was devised, in part, to create a uniform system of roads across the country
.
The Jefferson Trail became US 71, US 40 replaced the National Road and the Lincoln Highway became US 30.

Since then, numerous highways were replaced by the coming of the Interstate Highway System, such as US 66 by I-55, I-44 and I-40, and US 99 by I-5
, but much of the system still exists today. So take some time to explore and imagine what it must have been like 83 years ago.

1 comment:

The Dirt Road Bicycle Commuter said...

Great site! Very interesting photos and research. I didn't realize it falls on Veterans day.