Monday, November 09, 2009

R.I.P. Amite River Bridge

As many of you know, one of my main hobbies is photography. Sure, I take a lot of photos of odd signage, old traffic signals and so on, but one of my strongest pursuits is bridges. I had a friend do a 2 bit psychoanalysis on me once and claimed this passion comes from my ability to "build bridges" between people.  Personally, I don't see it.

I've photographed hundreds of bridges in the last 7 or 8 years (when I got serious about this hobby). Some I have found through research, others by happenstance.  One bridge that caught my attention was the Amite River bridge on US 190 near Denham Springs, LA, a 1932 Parker Through Truss bridge. I first encountered this bridge in 2007 on my way home from an SCA gathering in Mississippi. Even then, it was looking old and tired, but it had a certain charm to it that I can't explain. Even then, there were signs of its impending doom due to upgrades along the highway. I only managed to get one photograph that day as the sun was preparing to set.  This past March, I managed to get several more photos and promised myself I'd come back next year for more photos and to say my good-byes.

Amite River-East Portal 

Well, I won't get that chance: the bridge was imploded October 22nd to make way for a new bridge. There's a video on YouTube, if you're morbid enough to watch it. I've posted the link, but I refuse to post the video: I'd rather remember the bridge as it was last March then what it became in October.  

1 comment:

Charles said...

It is amazing at how we as humans are so sentimental even when it comes to an old rusty bridge. That bridge is an icon to this area. We used to cross it day in and day out and its destruction tugs at my heart a little. We are all so reluctant to change, but sometimes its for the best. I'll miss old rusty.

Charles Roppolo
charles.roppolo@gmail.com