Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Shame & Embarrassment

When I first started taking photos on a regular basis, I only posted the best ones. I was just starting out, so I was still working on getting the right angle. I also edited a lot: I would take a decent photo and crop all but the "important" parts. 

That was 2002-2003 and I've learned a lot since then. Now I'm a lot better at getting just the "right" angle, plus I actually include some of the surrounding area now for perspective. When I started posting photos to Flickr, I only posted the best photos or the most unique ones. I had lots and lots of photos that I deemed "not good enough" for public display. 

Case in point:
TO East 290
This I-290 photo was taken July 2004 near Chicago. I didn't really stop to take the photo, but merely slowed down. You can see it's kind of washed out for shooting through a dirty windshield and almost into the sun. 

This one:

23-116

AR 23/116 south of Booneville suffers overzealous cropping. You get the sign and not much else.  

These aren't my best work, so I chose not to post them. But all that has changed now. In the last 3 days, I have posted over 200 old photos. Some are poorly cropped, some were taken at a bad angle or bad exposure. I've decided to go ahead and post them so everyone can see how far I've come. 

But I'm not done yet. I still have more photos to post. How many? I have NO idea. I've got CD's full of photos plus a plastic shoe box full of more photos that haven't been looked at in years. 

For those of you who like to keep count: I now have over 3600 photos posted. I'd love to break 4000 by December 31, but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not even sure where I was this time last year: 2300? It's been a busy year. Next year, maybe I can break 6000. 

Well, back to work, I guess.


No comments: