Sunday, July 04, 2010

Lost Bridge

One of the things I enjoy when photographing bridges is finding one that's been long since forgotten and abandoned. I've lost count of the number of bridges I have found that everyone else has forgotten about.

One such bridge was the Duck River Bridge at Centerville, TN. A two-span through truss bridge, it was built in 1913 and bypassed by a new bridge in 1970.

Duck River North Approach

I found this bridge in July 2006 on a trip to Columbia, TN. I took some photos and promised I'd be back another day. Somehow, I've just never made it back to that area. There was a time when I'd travel to Tennessee every Summer, but the last few years I haven't.

I received word a few weeks ago that the old bridge is no more: a casualty of the May flooding in parts of Tennessee. The whole bridge was washed away save for a couple piers

 (Photo courtesy Bridgehunter.com)

It's not the first bridge I've visited that is no longer there and it won't be the last. Still, it's a shame to see the old bridges go, either by acts of nature (flood, tornadoes) or acts of man (torn down to make way for a new bridge). 

No comments: