Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In Search of Old 62

US 62 didn't exist until 1930. In Arkansas, it was posted either as AR 47 or as AR 12. All across the state, there are small sections of county road plus various state routes and business routes that are former alignments of US 62. Many of these I have discovered on my own, a few I have found by looking at old maps.

Two days ago, I found another possible alignment that I had never noticed before. It roughly parallels 62 for about a mile just southeast of US 65 near Bellfonte. Someone sent me a lead on a possible old bridge in the vicinity so I pulled up Google maps to trangulate.

I was looking the county road and noticed it appeared to intersect US 62 in two locations... or did at one time. It appears to have been cut-off at the east end, but the satellite photo seems to show traces of the old roadway.

courtesy Google maps

The blue line shows what I suspect to be old 62. The red line shows the possibly abandoned section. My research tells me there is at least one old bridge on Brack Kimes Rd, plus a possible second one on Huzzah Rd which branches off to the north and west about a third of the way down Kimes Rd.

There is only one way to find out: I have to go there. I've been looking for an excuse to go over that way, so I guess I have one now. :)

No comments: