Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lost in the Woods

I'm so far behind on posting, it's like I've been lost in the woods. Yet, maybe that's not a bad thing: some of my favorite bridge finds are lost in the woods. I found one back in March north of Pineville, Louisiana.

 

While this looks like just an abandoned road (it's an abandoned section of US 71) it actually "hides" an old bridge over Hudson Creek. When I saw this out of the corner of my eye and knew I had to stop and investigate. I had to walk about 1/4 mile (which seemed longer) to get to this bridge. Needless to say, I was not disappointed by what I discovered.

 

The concrete "fence-rail" design of this bridge was popular in the 1930's and early 1940's. What little information I can find seems to indicate this bridge may have still been in service until the 1960's. As you can see, it's been hit many times by overweight trucks or errant motorists. What really sets this bridge apart from so many others, though, is this end rail:

 Many older bridges in Louisiana and Mississippi have the highway, the bridge name and date imprinted on the end of the bridge. Here you can see "US 71" as well as "Hudson Creek" imprinted in the concrete. I was unable to find the exact date it was built, however, (it's possibly on the other end of the bridge where the end rail is missing) so I'm not sure when this was built, though as I already said, the design seems to say 1930's. 

One other item of note is the west end-rail: 

if you look closely, you can see the remnants of the black & white hazard markings painted on the bridge.

No comments: