Friday, December 17, 2010

Everywhere a Sign

As many of you know, my fascination with highways includes signs. I have about half a dozen old signs in my possession, plus a couple modern remakes of old signs.

I read recently that AHTD (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept) was planning to replace the exit signs along I-540 between Fayetteville and Bentonville. The new signs will be metropolitan-style exit signs: instead of a destination, the street name will be used. US 412, for example, will change from Springdale/Tontitown/Siloam Springs to Sunset Ave.

The changeover is occurring slowly with the first signs to change being for US 62/AR 180 which went from the Farmington/University of Arkansas Exit to Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

Next was AR 112 which went from a no-name exit to Garland Ave.

What happened after that, requires some explanation

This is for the former Johnson exit, now Great House Spring Rd

Except it's not Great House Spring Rd, it's Greathouse (1 word) Springs (plural) Rd.... or County Rd 54


So what happened? Probably a contractor error... someone not paying attention when the signs were made.

As, for what happens next, who knows? So far, I think I'm the only one who has caught this error. I've contacted AHTD to see if they know about this, so I guess we'll see what happens ;)


UPDATE: I received the following message from AHTD this morning:

We made the mistake of making the signs with the same wording the City of Johnson has on their street name signs. Afterwards, we found out their signs were wrong. We are in the process of correcting the signs to read "Greathouse Springs Rd".

OK. now I need to investigate that.

No comments: