Monday, April 11, 2011

The Myth about AYCE

I took myself out to dinner yesterday at one of those steak restaurants that also offers the All You Can Eat food bar. I've been feeling a little run down lately (allergies, plus the constantly changing weather), so I decided to go get myself a salad and other stuff to try to jump start my metabolism.

I went through the order line and received one plate for the food bar plus a small soup bowl. While I was piling up my plate with salad, my server brought me an extra plate. Then, when I finished my salad, I went to explore what other offerings they had. I got a piece of chicken, some corn, and a couple small pieces of battered fish. When I finished, I went back to the food bar but was stopped because I didn't bring a clean plate. So I returned to my table and waited for my server to bring me a clean plate. And I waited some more. Then I waited some more. Finally, I asked another server if I could have a clean plate. And then I waited.

Did this mean I'm allowed only 2 trips to the food bar or simply that the servers are too lazy to be bothered?

As I've mentioned before, there seems to be an unwritten company policy that tables with a single guest get a lower quality of service than tables with 2 or more people. A former Ryan's server actually confirmed this a few years back: management would rather servers pay more attention to tables of 2 or more because they will tip better. So this is all about tips? I have to pay for good service rather than reward good service? If that's the way you're going to be, then good-bye Western Sizzlin'.

No comments: