Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Progress!

Finally,  some visible progress on US 71/ Future I-49 in Missouri! MoDOT has been busy over the last couple of years upgrading US 71 between I-44 at Fidelity and The 3 Trails Crossing (does anyone actually call it 3 Trails and not Grandview Triangle?). At-grade intersections are slowly being converted to full interchanges (such as MO 126,  Route M at Compton Junction, and Routes V and C near Irwin)

Now, even more progress is visible: MoDOT is adding mileposts along 71. Beginning at I-44, mileposts are going up every 1/10 mile 
I-44 will be exit 46, Cedar Road (Pictured) will be Exit 47, and Central Ave in Carthage will be Exit 53. For now, the mileposts are turned 90 degrees away from the roadway until the I-49 upgrade is complete.

I've also received word that I-49 won't end at Grandview Triangle 3 Trails Crossing, but more likely Bannister Road/ Route W.

MoDOT has also erected new overhead signs along US 71/I-49 at I-44 near Joplin
Note that I-44 West is posted as Exit 39C, while Mo 249 is posted as Exit 39B. So where's 39A? Half a mile south at Route FF/ 32nd St.

But where's 49? It will go in the blank space between I-44 and US 71. But first: MoDOT has to finish the road upgrades before they can officially call it I-49. That should happen about mid-December.

No comments: