Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Playing Bridge ;)

I went to the Memphis Road Meet a couple weekends ago. A total of seven of us spent the day running around Memphis observing construction along I-69 and Future I-269. 

We wrapped up around 6pm and I spend the next couple hours retracing parts of our tour to investigate a few bridges we passed along the way. One of the was the Fox River bridge along TN 205, a steel stringer built around 1949.

On the trip home, I hit the "mother load" of bridges: I found at least 20 of the 1930's era bridges along US 70 from just east of Brinkley to just before DeValls Bluff, including this gem over the Cache River. Bridgehunter officially lists this as a "steel stringer", but I call this a "radiator" bridge since the design reminds me an old fashioned radiator.
I'm slowly getting things posted on Flickr as well as posting a few of my bridge finds on Bridgehunter. I've been gone quite a bit lately, so I have close to 2000 photos to sort, edit and pick the best ones to post. 

Oh, and I also found this abandoned railroad bridge at DeValls Bulff:
This was a tough shot: I had to lean over the side of the highway bridge and pray I didn't fall in the river.

I found a few this past weekend near Pine Bluff, but those are still in my camera, so I'll have to talk about those another time.


 


No comments: