Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Still Searching

My search continues for the "perfect pizza"  Today I stopped at The Pizza Place in Alma, AR. They've been open for a couple months, but I never had a chance to check them out before today. In a word: disappointing.

The place is tiny compared to a lot of pizza places: it's almost like a hole in the wall. The buffet is U shaped, hidden in a back corner with about a dozen tables in the dining area.

There was a small salad bar with shredded lettuce a few veggies and a small selection of salad dressings. I really didn't get a good look at it, but it reminded me of a "token" salad bar you see at a lot of pizza places.

I counted 7 pizzas on the buffet, not counting the repeats. There was a "Supreme", sausage, pepperoni, cheese, triple meat (sausage, pepperoni, ham) and a couple others, including a Buffalo Chicken. There was, of course, the requisite "DANGER TABLE IS HOT" sign, but the hot table was cool to the touch (someone forget to turn it on?). The pizzas themselves didn't look that appetizing: they had an odd sheen about them. Also, the heat lamps above the pizzas weren't on (were there heat lamps?).

The crust was nice and crisp, but not very flavorful. Didn't really have a cracker-like flavor, but more like "baked dough". The "sheen" on the pizza was from the cheese: not a lot of flavor and kind of greasy. The toppings weren't very flavorful, either. I could sort of taste some of the seasoning in the sausage or I would have thought it was beef. The ham/Canadian Bacon had a bit of a pork flavor, but the pepperoni was more like dried red grease patches.

Honestly? I'd rather have a pizza from Kum & Go. The Pizza Place was simply not very good, IMO: I found it cold, bland, and greasy. 

I guess I should say something about the service: It was "OK". I came in the door and there was no one to greet me or any signs saying "Please Wait to be Seated"  or "Please Seat Yourself", so I went ahead and grabbed a booth. I waited a few minutes, but no one came by so I wandered over to try the pizza. The server finally came out and asked if I was having the buffet and what I wanted to drink.  Then she asked where I was sitting and had my drink waiting when I sat down.

She was good on asking if I needed a refill and was also good on removing the dirty plates from my table. She asked if I found everything OK, but never asked what I thought of the food itself. Just as well.

I guess tomorrow I hit Golden Corral and have a big salad as penance for having pizza for lunch today.


No comments: