Sunday, September 29, 2013

Gonna Get You

"Instant Karma's Gonna Get You"- John Lennon,

Well, it wasn't John Lennon, but Instant Karma got me anyway.

I was in Joplin a couple months ago for the Route 66 International Festival. Lots to see, lots to do: car shows, vendors, tours, music, and (of course) food.

Lunch on Friday found me down on Main St in Joplin (original alignment of US 66 through town). Lots of food vendors as well as several eateries.  I happened across this one called Instant Karma, a hot dog and chili place. I love good chili (like Steak n Shake's Chili Mac), so I thought I would give them a try.

Service was rather mediocre: my server was always in the corner having "social hour" and I was flagging down other servers to refill my tea, but was right on top of things when it came time to pay, though.

Anyway, I ordered the Spaghetti Red: chili, cheese, and onions on a bed of spaghetti. It sounded good, so I gave it a try.



Well, Penne pasta is not exactly spaghetti, but close enough. Lots of meat (more than SnS gives you), a generous portion of cheese, and onions (I should have asked for "easy on the onions", I guess). All in all, it didn't seem too bad: spicy, but not overly so, a little bit of grease, but it didn't seem too bad. I was beginning to think I was in heaven...until I got to the bottom of the bowl and saw pasta swimming in a pool of grease.  *UGH*

Against my better judgement, I tried fishing the pasta out the grease, until I just couldn't handle any more grease. So I paid my bill and got out of there.

Less than an hour later, I was having stomach cramps and looking for the nearest restroom.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it and I got sick twice after that. 

Luckily, I had a bottle of Pepto-Bismol back at the hotel, so I headed back there, too a dose, then took another does after getting sick again.

So I missed the auto show, and missed meeting many of the 66'ers I regularly talk to on-line.  

Saturday was much better, but that's a tale for another time. :)





 

1 comment:

vuorg said...

delicious