Thursday, February 04, 2016

Got to be a Record



Last weekend, I attended an SCA gathering in Tulsa. It's only about 2 1/2 hours for me if I take the turnpike, but what's the fun in that? I did take I-40 to Warner, then headed north on US 64. I never noticed before how many abandoned concrete culverts there are paralleling the highway: there's abandoned railroad right-of-way from Tulsa to south of Warner. I need to photograph some of them eventually.I was ahead of schedule, so checked out part of old US 64 through Muskogee. In addition to an old Texas-Pacific Railroad bridge, I found a nice concrete bridge over Coody Creek, about a mile north. Not bad for hardly trying ;)


Sunday was a different story: I left Tulsa heading west on old Hwy 66 to look for more bridges. I found the first one rather quickly, then an arch railroad bridge next to it. I wandered into Sapulpa and found two refurbished service stations (a Gulf and a Barnsdall). Heading west out of town, I found 2 more bridges on another old alignment of 66.


From Sapulpa, I headed down old US 75 towards Okmulgee and found 6 (I think) more bridges. Eventually, I found myself back in Muskogee chasing down a bridge I had forgotten to look for when I passed through on Friday.


A 2 1/2 hour drive took me 8 hours.Total number of bridges: 14. I think that's a record for one weekend. I'm still sorting photos, so it will likely be a day or two before I have them posted.


Right place, right time, I guess.

No comments: