Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Mixed Signals

I've just returned from 10 days up in Kansas City (or more properly Smithville, Missouri) for the annual SCA Lilies War. It was HOT! At least 3 days of triple-digit temps. Needless to say, I roasted.
Of course, I can never take a trip without exploring the area. One of my main stops was Harrisonville to check out the new "Diverging Diamond" interchange at MO 291 and I-49. No big surprises, except people haven't learned to drive it yet. I took a few photos then started to wander back to my van when something caught my eye: there were new signals at 291 and Commerical St, but they didn't look right.

Red-Green-Yellow-Yellow Arrow-Green Arrow. Isn't that supposed to be Red-Yellow-Green-Yellow Arrow-Green Arrow?




Something isn't right here.The sequence is correct, but the Yellow and Green are in the wrong places. They didn't do it once, but twice. WTF? Either MoDOT is trying to psych-out drivers, or their contractor royally screwed up and no one caught it. 

I decided to contact MoDOT and received the following response:

Thank you for notifying us of the discrepancy in the signal head layout at 291 & Commercial Street in Harrisonville, MO.
This is a new signal set up at the intersection. 
Our project manager has notified the contractor and the signal head configuration will be corrected by 06/23/16.

We appreciate your assistance with noticing this discrepancy and very much appreciate that you took the time to notify MoDOT.

So I guess it WAS a contractor error, which leaves me with two questions: (1) What was the contractor thinking (2) Why didn't someone catch this before now?

When I said I wanted to make a difference in the world, I never imagined it would be calling out highway departments for stupid stuff.

No comments: